REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR 2015!
FOR STUDENTS IN CM1-6ème (4th-6th grade)
Welcome to the 7th Annual Paris Spelling Bee (PSB). Registration for the 2015 Bee opens on December 1, 2014. The event is open to English-speaking students currently in CM1-6ème (4th-6th grade). This year, there is only one group.
Here are some important dates for your 2014-2015 calendar. Please also see the updated ‘pages’ on this blog for How to Register, Students & Parents, Teachers as well as the FAQs (Please excuse us while we are updating our blog.)
COMMUNITY BEE EVENTS
Saturday December 6, 2014 — Language Comes to Life 12h00-13h30, at The American Library in Paris (ALP). Come and learn all about prefixes and suffixes in the English language. Space limited to 12 children. To RSVP, please email Celeste, ALP’s youth librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday January 10, 2015 — PSB Family Pizza Movie Night – 19h00-21h30, to be held at the ALP. Join us for the annual screening of the movie Akeelah and the Bee. Pizza and refreshments will be provided by the ALP. The event is free for ALP members. Please RSVP by clicking here and filling out the required online form. RSVP is mandatory. Space is limited to 80 people. Deadline: January 5.
Saturday January 10, 2015 — Introduction to Spelling Bees – 12h00-13h30, for children ages 8-13, at the ALP. Meet the organizers of the PSB, learn how spelling bees work and practice your spelling smarts. Space limited to 15 participants. RSVP with Celeste, ALP’s youth librarian at email@example.com.
KEY DATES FOR THE 2015 PARIS SPELLING BEE COMPETITION
- December 1, 2014 — Paris Spelling Bee Registration Opens for children in CM1-6ème — Click here to download the registration form, which is being distributed to schools, individuals and community leaders on our list. You can email us to request your copy of the registration form and ask to be added to our email updates. The Registration Form (with payment by check) must be returned by mail to the address indicated on the form. We do not accept electronic registrations.
- Tuesday January 13, 2015 — Registration Deadline!! This is the last day to register for the Bee. Forms must be postmarked on or before January 13. Registration is on a first come, first served, and limited to about 90 applicants. To add your name or your school’s contact information to our electronic updates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up through the blog.
- Saturday January 24, 2015 — PSB Written Preliminary Written Round -- For registered participants. Tentative time is 09h30-12h30. The location, in the 5th arrondissement, will be provided to registered participants at a later time. Twenty finalists will be chosen to advance to the Oral Finals, which will be held on March 15. A Study Guide for the Preliminary Written Round has been posted and will be emailed to registered participants. The Preliminary Written Round on January 24 consists of about 35 words, most of which come from the Study Guide.
- Sunday February 8, 2015 — PSB Mock Bee/Practice Session – Tentative time: 10h00-12h00: This event is organized for finalists chosen from the January 24 Preliminary Written Round. The Mock Bee (practice session) will be held at the American Library in Paris. A separate Study Guide for the Oral Finals of the Paris Spelling Bee will be made available to finalists after the Preliminary Written Round.
- Sunday March 15, 2015 — Oral Finals — The tentative time is 09H00-12h30. This event is open to finalists and their invited guests and will be held at The American Library in Paris.
To sign up for PSB updates and registration information, or if you have questions about the Paris Spelling Bee, please email Helen Sahin Connelly at email@example.com. The Paris Spelling Bee is organized by Gifted in France, a non-profit association, in collaboration with The American Library in Paris. PSB is grateful to the ALP for its continued support of this community-wide enrichment event open to children throughout Paris.
In the last Paris Spelling Bee, held in 2013, 100 children in grades CE2 through 4ème, from over 40 schools in the greater Paris area, participated in the Preliminary Written Round. Twenty students from each division, Gazelles (CE2-CM2) and Cheetahs (6ème-4ème), advanced to the Oral Finals on April 7, 2013. For more information about the 2013 Bee and the winners, please scroll down on this page.
The PSB team took a year off in 2014, and has returned with a restructured Bee open to students currently in CM1-6ème (4th-6th grade).
Best of luck to everyone entering the 2015 Bee. We are very excited about our 7th season!
2015 Paris Spelling Bee Committee
Follow us on our Facebook page